Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Coconut-Ginger Pork

...... Yes, I am the vegetarian sister.... or I have been for the past 10 years and 10 months.   After a lot of agonizing that I won't go into here, I am reintroducing meat, or at least trying to.  I'm a bit cooking-handicapped when it comes to meat, though, having learned to cook only after I gave it up.  Although this mostly tasted like PORK to me, Chris loved it, so here goes...... a meat recipe.  (It comes entirely from here.)

**Ed. 8/29/13:  I did not succeed in re-introducing meat.  Animals, you are safe from me!**

Buy a 3-4 pound pork shoulder, on the bone or off.  Rub it with a mixture of 2 tsp each coriander, cumin, salt and pepper.  Put it in the slow cooker with an onion and sweet potato cut in chunks; 4 chopped garlic cloves; a 3-inch chunk of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced; and a can of coconut milk.

Then slow-cook on low for 8-10 hours.  I was pretty fascinated by the transformation.... that big chunk of solid raw meat, basically dissolving into juice and falling apart!  The coconut milk flavor is not strong by the time cooking is through.  Made the house smell great.


No comments:

Post a Comment